Wednesday, June 16, 2010

What I Know

I talked to Scott on the phone just a minute ago. He said that Oliver and Joe both tracked guitar on "Beg the Past" and got some really nice stuff down. I believe he said Oliver has been working four to four shifts, so my hat is off to him for staying consistent in his studio efforts.

We talked much about how this is comparing to The Smartest Wall as far as the approach and the sonic element and can it even be said that this project will sound better. Scott's opinion is that it's like comparing apples to oranges. He said that this being a more rock oriented album, the drums with the harder attack when matched up against the other instruments aren't pulling as much tone as what was evident on the former album. Of course as this is something that he is aware of, he said that we're going to go less on final compression to try and warm things up a bit. He talked a lot about taking the "smoosh" out of the final mastering, which might sacrifice some volume, but will open things up a bit.

We also talked about setting things up here at my house, so I can go down the list and wrap up all the loose ends vocally, both on my end and the additional vocalists. I'll also be able to track my piano for "Evenstar" which will allow for the completion of those vocal parts as well. With my new summer class schedule, I have large windows of time in the afternoons to do this work, so hopefully next week I can knock it all out.

We may meet up tonight so that I can do some tracking --probably guitar stuff through a POD, to hold up against my Vox tracks. It all depends on Scott's schedule. Until next time, Derek

No comments:

Post a Comment