Friday, April 16, 2010

Look, Mom! I'm on the internet!

So, I'm really stoked about this show we're getting ready to play at John Brown's on April 30th. Several of my co-workers have already made what I assume to be empty promises that they will attend, and I just bought a second amplifier to use as an add-on to my rig. The only problem is we have only practiced once since our last show, which was incidentally my first live performance with the band. For this reason, I am not entirely comfortable with all of the material in the set. Nonetheless, I am confident that my instincts and musical prowess will be enough to help me fake my way through any parts that I don't know. As a matter of fact, I already have a strategy planned for just such a scenario. If I get into the middle of a song and I don't know what comes next, I intend to play the entire chromatic scale, first ascending, then descending. My theory is that if there are seven notes that make up the key in which the song is to be played, and I play all eleven notes of the chromatic scale, (seven divided by eleven rounds up to .64) that means that roughly 64% of the notes I'm playing will be the right note. In grading terms, that translates to a solid D! That means I passed! Wait... are there eleven or twelve notes in the chromatic scale?

3 comments:

  1. Ds get degrees. I suggest that you close your eyes and reach out with your feelings. Your eyes can deceive you. don't trust them. or you could always play freebird. Hell everybody loves that song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's okay O. HW is welcoming of diverse learners, and we tend to use formative assessment rather than summative assessment.

    ReplyDelete